Summary: photographs, colour, of Indian Convalescent Depot Memorial in Barton on Sea, whole monument, showing main inscription, 15cm x 10 cm
Identification note: taken in 2009 by Sarah Newman for museum
Identification note: In 1917, the staff of the Convalescent Camp at Baton raised money by subscription to build an obelisk in honour of the Indian troops who had stayed there. The inscription includes the names of the two senior army doctors who ran the camp, namely Lt Col Chaytor-White and Lt Col Mawson. The obelisk was erected by the local building firm H Drew in Barton Court Avenue. It was the first memorial to be built to commemorate soldiers of the Great War, which of course had not even finished at this point. It is also one of only two memorials in the country to the Indian troops who served in the War, the other is in Brighton.