Summary: plan, estate sale plan, coloured, Fernhill Manor Estate, New Milton, May 26, 1926, roads are Marley Road and Kennard Road, sale of building plots

Identification note: Documents for the Fernhill Estate go back to 1190. John Fromond gave the land to Winchester College in 1420 to provide money from rents to pay for the clothing of 16 choirboys. A couple of years after the arrival of the railway, the college began to sell parcels of land to developers. Miss Clarke and Miss Macnamara changed the name to Fernhill Manor in 1919 when they moved their Branksome Girls College here. The college had been founded by Miss Hawkins in around 1893, occupying two locations near Ashley Arnewood, and was sold to Miss Clarke and Miss Macnamara in 1913. Fernhill Manor School closed in the 2000s ad the buildings were converted to private housing.

Share this:

Follow us on social media or join our newsletter

Get in touch with St Barbe

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.