Summary: postcard, black and white photograph of Fernhill School, New Milton, Hampshire, girls acting Greek play in the garden with a painted Greek temple behind, late 1930's, not posted, photographed by G Moss, Christchurch, Dorset
Identification note: Documents for the Fernhill Estate go back to 1190. John Fromond gave the land to Winchester College in 1420 to provide money from rents to pay for the clothing of 16 choirboys. A couple of years after the arrival of the railway, the college began to sell parcels of land to developers. Miss Clarke and Miss Macnamara changed the name to Fernhill Manor in 1919 when they moved their Branksome Girls College here. The college had been founded by Miss Hawkins in around 1893, occupying two locations near Ashley Arnewood, and was sold to Miss Clarke and Miss Macnamara in 1913. Fernhill Manor School closed in the 2000s ad the buildings were converted to private housing.