11-13

11 High Street

Also known as Victoria House, this building held a number of different drapers run by the Doman family from about 1860 to the 1950s, as well as a bootmaker and, in the 1980s, Contessa. It is now the Cornish Bakery.

12 High Street

Hogan & Moss, who made stays for corsets, were based here in 1839. Members of the Thorn family, who were butchers, had a shop here from the 1870s to at least the First World War, before the premises were taken over by a greengrocer by 1939. It is now No 12.

13 High Street

This building housed a couple of fishmongers in the late 19th century, before being taken over by Pardey’s Cheap Hardware Stores. The business was sold to Edward (Frank) Gearey after the First World War, who ran the store with his wife Dorothy. They sold everything from garden tools to chamber pots. It is now Stanwells.

Share this:

Follow us on social media or join our newsletter

Get in touch with St Barbe

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.