high street

113 High Street

For many years the site of the Red Lion pub, this was mentioned in 1784 but was probably an inn even earlier. Landlords included Anne Frye, Charles Tarver, Sarah Gauntlett, Albert Hapgood and Mr & Mrs Baker. The pub closed in about 1998. It is now Koh Thai.

114 High Street

Charles H Jones, confectioner, AE Green, watchmaker, and G Pardey, brick and lime merchant, all ran businesses from here until Miss King took over the building in the 1910s. It remained with the King family for a few decades, but by the 1950s was Arnolds Bookshop. Local photographer Myles Cooper was based here in the 1960s. It is now Sara Tiara.

115 High Street

The Bennett family were one of many who had butchers on the High Street. They were based here from the 1870s to the 1910s. Later Johnsons cleaners and dyers and then Bon Viveur bakers moved in. It is now Cobblers Kingdom.

Share this:

Follow us on social media or join our newsletter

https://twitter.com/StBarbeMuseum

Get in touch with St Barbe

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.