116 High Street
Grocer William Hawkins had a shop here in the late 19th century and then Plumbly’s Stores from the 1910s to the 1950s. The store was later split in two and now houses Esprit and Rohan.
117 and 118 High Street
A chemist, estate agent, dental surgeon, music teacher and bootmaker Isaac Earley were just some of the businesses based here before the Town Hall was built in 1913. When Martha Earley died in 1910 she bequeathed Nos 117 and 118 to the Lymington Corporation for use as offices. As they were unsuitable, the buildings were demolished and a new town hall was built, financed by a gift from Ellen Hewett, Martha’s sister-in-law. It was described briefly by Pevsner in his 1967 survey of Hampshire buildings as “Three bays, brick and much stone. Baroque, with a cupola.” That building too was later demolished and replaced, with the Town Hall moving to Avenue Road in 1966. The new buildings house Fred Olsen Travel Agents and Hadleys Jewellers.