126-129

high street

126 and 127 High Street

Charles King, founder of Kings bookshop, came to Lymington in 1805, establishing a printing works and bookshop here while living in a cottage behind the building. The shop was partitioned, with one part used as a reading room. In 1817 Charles was joined by his nephew Richard but following a rift, caused when Richard married Elizabeth Jones who ran the bakery at No 127, Richard left to set up his own business. Although Richard lived at No 128, it’s not known where his shop was located. When Kings moved out in the 1850s, tea dealer Thomas Palfrey, set up shop in No 127. By the 1930s the building had become the High Street East Post Office and stationers run by Mrs Sadler and her daughter. It is now Jojo Maman Bebé.

128 High Street

George Jefferd & Son, nurserymen, seedsmen and florists, had premises here in the 1870s while in the 1890s the shop housed the Singer Manufacturing Company. By the 1980s Fairweathers Garden Centre occupied the site. It is now the entrance to Cannon Court.

129 High Street

This building was once the site of various grocers and bakers, including Richard Booker (1870s-80s), Matthew Brothers (1890s) and Morgan Phillips (1910s-50s). It is now the Gilded Teapot.

Share this:

Follow us on social media or join our newsletter

Get in touch with St Barbe

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.