43-46

43 High Street

Occupied by a series of drapers and outfitters from the 1840s, the best known was Rand’s, which set up shop here in the 1910s. Rand’s moved here from 7 St Thomas Street, where William Boothby Rand had founded a business in 1876 selling hats and underclothes for women and children. The business stayed with the family until 1982, when it was finally sold. It is now the Grape Tree.

44 High Street

William Beech (1840s – nurseryman and seedsman), Robert Jeffery (1870s – gun and fishing tackle manufacturer) and C King (1890s – fishmonger) were just some of the occupants here before the building became part of G Elliott & Son in 1895.

45 High Street

George Morris, currier and leather seller, and William Stephens, fruiterer and florist, had businesses here before Elliott’s moved in. Mr Curly was manager of Elliotts shoe shop here in the 1930s, and used to enjoy a drink at The Old English Gentleman in Queen Street.

46 High Street

Ann Hapgood, who took over her husband’s business as a carrier at No 42, had moved to these premises by 1851 and become a fruiterer. The building was demolished in 1890 and replaced by the current edifice which occupys Nos 44-46 and is known as Ashley House. It has been occupied by Elliotts since 1890.

Share this:

Follow us on social media or join our newsletter

Get in touch with St Barbe

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.