high street

68 High Street

Old Bank House also held part of the St Barbe Bank, before briefly becoming a hotel and then a bistro. George and Caroline St Barbe lived here in the 1860s with their two sons as well as two cooks, two housemaids and a nursery maid.

69 High Street

Beaufort House has mainly been a residence, occupied by Charles Klitz in the 1860s. It was converted to a shop in 1937, selling china and glass, before becoming a building society in the 1980s. It is now Caldwells.

70 High Street

Henry Figg, estate agent, plumber and painter, occupied this building from 1839. He was a warden at St Thomas Church and in 1824 was involved in a dispute lasting a year regarding how much he should be paid for the Coat of Arms in the West Gallery. When he died in 1852 his son William took over the business. In the 1910s Mr and Mrs Philo sold fancy goods and ran a jeweller and optician here. By the 1950s the building was the Homemade Cake Shop, with a hairdresser called HB Gosling running a business from the rear. It remained a hairdresser in the 1960s, under Mr and Mrs D’eath, who lived in a flat above the shop. The Women’s Royal Voluntary Service also had premises at the back of the building for a time. It is now Suitably Shod.

Share this:

Follow us on social media or join our newsletter

https://twitter.com/StBarbeMuseum

Get in touch with St Barbe

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.