78-80

high street

78 High Street

Grocers Edward and John Templer, James Hewitt, A Arnold and Rowland Hill are some of those who had businesses here. Rowland moved to Lymington from Weymouth in 1896 on purchasing Mrs Hewitt’s grocery business, founded by James Hewitt in 1878. He died of consumption in 1900, aged just 30, leaving his wife Louisa in charge followed by their son Rowland Jnr. The business was bought by International Stores, which sold out to Woolworths in 1959.

79 and 80 High Street

In the 1860s Henry Prince occupied No 79 as a cabinet maker, upholsterer and paper hanger while HT Bath, nurseryman and seedsman, had No 80. From the 1890s both buildings were taken over by Bath, who had moved to selling coal and corn. He was replaced by Cecil Barrow, who sold motorcycles and bikes here from 1919. Prior to that, Cecil had been employed as chauffeur to the Earl of Egmont at Avon Castle. He added a petrol pump to the right of the premises, with the storage tank beneath the shop floor. Cecil was also a motorcycle racer of some repute, competing in every Isle of Man TT race between 1925 and 1935, and a founder-member of the Lymington Motorcycle Club. Woolworths moved into the building in 1946 and from the 1980s also occupied No 78. These buildings are all now Poundland.

Share this:

Follow us on social media or join our newsletter

Get in touch with St Barbe

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.