81 High Street
J Pedler and then his wife Martha had a butcher’s shop here from the 1830s to the 1860s. By 1867 the business had become a tobacconist and remained in that use until the Cheltenham and Gloucester Building Society bought the building in the 1980s.
82 High Street
The Bugle Hotel, one of the town’s many pubs, was here from at least 1675 until the 1960s. Parish meetings were held at the inn in the 18th century when a Mrs Robinson was the landlady. One later, long-serving landlord was Silas Dore. William Backhurst operated out of the yard of the Bugle Inn in the 1880s as a ‘fly proprietor’, which meant he hired out one-horse carriages (known as flies). The Backhurst family later expanded the business, hiring out coaches for special occasions and operating out of the Angel Yard. It is now Halifax.
83 High Street
Charles Blake, a saddler and maker of leather goods, had a store here from the 1850s to the 1890s. In 1931 the chain store Home & Colonial moved in and remained in operation until the 1980s. It is now the Dog’s Trust.