84-87

high street

84 High Street

Various small establishments have been based here including Martin’s circulating library, a post office, tailor and coal and fuel merchants. Parts of the medieval timber-framed building can still be seen here; a survival because many side walls are party walls. The town’s second post office was also based here, run by printer and bookseller Charles Watterson. It is now Sears Barbers

85 High Street

For many decades shops on this site sold confectionary. The proprietor in 1908 was AC Last, a pastrycook and confectioner who also had refreshment rooms and catered for fetes, banquets and weddings. In the 1930s H Hopkins of Waterford Nurseries moved in. It became James florist in the 1950s and by the 1980s was estate agent Fox & Sons, now Hayward Fox.

86 High Street

Tailors, saddlers and bike sellers have all set up shop here, along with a shop called Coroanne that sold gowns in the 1950s.

87 High Street

George and Elizabeth Elliott founded their business here in 1872, selling clothes and footwear before moving to Nos 44-46 in 1890. By the 1910s the shop sold cards and toys and was run by Miss Woodford. Denis Piper had fond memories of the shop: “Miss Woodford was a marvellous lady, wonderful with children. She would turn the shop inside out until she found what was suitable for the child.” It is now EE.

Share this:

Follow us on social media or join our newsletter

Get in touch with St Barbe

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.