88-90

high street

88 High Street

Richard Galpine ran Lymington’s first Post Office from here from 1806 to 1836, alongside his bookselling and printing business and circulating library. In 1825, the letters were ready for delivery about a quarter of an hour after the arrival of the London mail, which came in every morning about 10 o clock. When the Post Office moved to No 73,  Klitz’s music emporium took over, which had been founded in 1789 by George Philip Glitz, a refugee from Hesse (now part of Germany) who later changed his name to Klitz. According to Raymond Klitz, George started off his business at a house in Captain’s Row and in those early days would go around the area, including the Isle of Wight, on horseback selling music. The shop moved to No 88 in 1840, where it sold musical instruments and sheet music. The whole family were very musical and were organists at St Thomas Church for over 50 years. The store remained in the family until 1981. It is now 3 Wishes.

89 and 90 High Street

George F Saul, an ironmonger and seller of china and glass, ran a business in this building from the 1880s to 1937. It then became Timothy Whites & Taylors chemist before Boots took over the store in the 1980s.

Share this:

Follow us on social media or join our newsletter

Get in touch with St Barbe

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.