93-96

high street

93 High Street

Richard King and Henry Hookey occupied this building in the 1830s, then tailor John Ings. W Green set up as a pork butcher here in the 1890s, followed by the London Central Meat Co in the 1930s and Baxters butchers in the 1980s. Joules now occupies Nos 93 and 94.

94 High Street

Saddler and harness-maker Thomas Gray ran his business from here from the 1870s with his son JT Gray taking over the shop in 1908. Then followed an electrical goods store in the 1930s and a dyers and cleaners. When Baxters arrived next door in the 1980s they took over this building.

95 High Street

Grocers William Stephens and Henry H Cooper had shops here in the 1870s, followed by E Stone the tailor in the 1890s – who later moved to Nos 49-50. In the 1930s fruiterer RC Moore set up shop here and by the 1980s GC Bateman the opticians had opened. It is now Vision Express.

96 High Street

This was the site of the Crown inn, one of the most important coaching inns in Lymington from the mid-18th century. The inn was renamed the Anchor and Hope in the 1820s. Elizabeth Ackland, aged 90, was innkeeper in 1871. By 1875 her daughter Jane had taken over. The building burned down in 1905 and was rebuilt in mock-Tudor style. It remained a pub until the 1970s. The building has been divided with Burkmars occupying the right side.

Share this:

Follow us on social media or join our newsletter

Get in touch with St Barbe

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.