36 High Street

Oliver Andrews, who sold carpets and was a ship chandler, was housed here in the 1870s, followed by H Pearce and AE Green (watchmakers), then Eastmans and Dewhurst (butchers). It is now Hays Travel.

37 High Street

Outfitters such as William Payne, William Cann and J Fisher occupied this spot from the 1840s to the 1910s, since which time the building has had a variety of uses such as antiques store, optician, jeweller, shoe shop and now Greggs.

38 High Street

In 1840 Rev Thomas Beckley owned Nos 34-43, as well as Nos 56 and 57 and the land that is now Grove Gardens. He was a curate at St Thomas Church from 1813 to 1828 and mayor in 1833. By the time of his death in 1872 Beckley owned about 44 acres in the borough including Home Mead, East Grove House, the Nags Head Inn and almost three acres of land on either side of New Lane. By 1871 the Wilts & Dorset Bank  had moved in, followed in the 1890s by the firm that was to become Moore & Blatch solicitors. The National Provincial Bank arrived in the 1950s and now trades as NatWest.

Share this:

Follow us on social media or join our newsletter

https://twitter.com/StBarbeMuseum

Get in touch with St Barbe

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.