high street

71 High Street

Butcher Samuel Belbin had a shop here in 1801 where he trained apprentice John Ford. By 1822 he was a highways surveyor and by the 1830s was licensed to let horses. The premises became Tanner & Sharp’s ironmongery in the 1840s. Thomas Sharp was manager in 1859 and also ran a Post Office. It became a shoe shop – firstly Sillis & Son and then Webbs Shoes – in 1905 and is now Specsavers.

72 High Street

Milliner Sarah St John was based here from the 1850s to at least 1878 followed by Henry St Barbe in 1895. In 1914 it was a chemists run by WR Wheeler and Percival Hunter Coe. The business was bought by Cyril (Davy) Smith in 1937, who lived in Belmore Road with his wife Busty. Davy became a magistrate and was referred to by one of the men he sentenced as ‘that old bugger with the black bushy eyebrows’. It is now Edinburgh Woollen Mill.

73 High Street

In 1836 printer and bookseller Richard Galpine ran his business from here, which included a Post Office. Lymington High School, run by Mr and Mrs Harvey, also seems to have been based above this shop from about 1911, although may not have outlasted the First World War. Co-op moved into the building in the 1930s and it has held a variety of different businesses since the 1940s. It now houses Hope Jones and Oxfam.

Share this:

Follow us on social media or join our newsletter

https://twitter.com/StBarbeMuseum

Get in touch with St Barbe

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.